The St Lucia Co-operative Credit Union League Ltd was established on the 26th January 1977 to serve the credit unions and co-operatives of Saint Lucia by providing the highest levels of leadership, growth, strength, unity, professional service, quality information, self-sustenance of the co-operative movement through advocacy. Since then the League has evolved to serve solely the credit unions as their secondary body. Coordinating the collective resources of the Credit Union movement; facilitating education and training. The League creates an enabling environment where Saint Lucians use the co-operative concept in meeting their socio-economic needs.
Become a Full Service League which meets the evolving needs of members in consonance with the Co-operative Business Model.
To provide relevant services, training and co-operative education to members while providing quality representation for the Credit Union Sector in Saint Lucia.
The people of Saint Lucia, like people in most countries, have always had traditional ways of working together for mutual benefit – the sou sou and coupe-de-main being among the most popular. However, organized co-operation in the form of a registered cooperative society was first practiced among farmers through the formation of Agricultural Credit Societies around 1916. By all accounts, those societies were short lived. Between then and now, cooperative activity of one form or another has been undertaken by different groups of people including farmers, fishermen, craftsmen/women, teachers, policemen, consumers, civil servants, trade unionists, taxi-drivers, tradesmen and students.
Organized cooperative activity resumed in the 1940’s with the intervention of the British colonial Office, through a Memorandum on Co-operative Development from the Secretary of State for the Colonies. The memorandum requested the territories to adopt Co-operative legislation where this did not exist and Saint Lucia was the first British Colony in the Caribbean to have enacted such legislation. That happened during the period 1946 to 1948.